ESOS Phase 2 – are you ready?
The Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) is a mandatory energy assessment scheme set up by the government to ensure large businesses contribute to its energy reduction targets. It is now in Phase 2 of the scheme. Find out more about ESOS.
The deadline for Phase 2 compliance is December 5th 2019. Organisations that do not comply by this date are subject to fines of up to £50,000 and public disclosure of noncompliance.
Does it apply to me?
It applies to you if your organisation meets one or more of the following criteria:
- Employs over 250 members of staff in the UK
- Has an annual turnover of over 50 million Euros (£38,937,777) and an annual balance sheet total of over 43 million Euros (£33,486,489)
- The company is part of a larger organisation that falls into either of the above categories
The Environment Agency reported that 40% of organisations were non-compliant after the Phase 1 deadline. ESOS does not apply to public bodies.
Carbon Numbers has helped businesses to comply with ESOS, and identify over £1 million in savings
Why do I have to be compliant?
- Penalties for non-compliance – Failure to comply with ESOS Phase 2 requirements before the December 5th deadline incurs a penalty of up to £50,000, and regulating bodies have the authority to publicly publish the details of non-compliant organisations.
- Increase your energy efficiency – Complying with ESOS also allows organisations to be more aware of their energy consumption. The scheme is designed to encourage regular audits and make it easier for businesses to take action.
- Deliver substantial savings – ESOS compliance is more than an administrative task. It can help you find and deliver long-term savings – allowing time and resources to be reinvested elsewhere, improve overall efficiency, and add value to the business.
We can help you save energy and comply with legislation
What do I need to do?
There are a number of different routes an organisation can take in order to be compliant with ESOS regulations. As long as 90% of your total energy consumption is covered, you can use elements from different approaches to gather the relevant data and meet the requirements for compliance.
These must be undertaken (or overseen and signed off by) a qualified ESOS Lead Assessor.
Why choose Carbon Numbers?
We can save you time and resources in managing the process from start to finish. Our team of fully qualified ESOS Lead Assessors and energy auditors can cater for all your requirements, including the data collection, analysis and report production required for ESOS compliance.
Carbon Numbers has extensive experience helping businesses comply with ESOS, and have helped their clients save as much as 50% off their annual energy bill.
We will help you deliver real savings through our unique approach.